Active Start (AS) program
The Active Start (AS) program offered by the Medicine Hat Ringette Association (MHRA) will combine three of the programs as outlined by Ringette Alberta (RAB); Learn to Skate, Intro to Ringette and the Active Start children's programs. The intent of the AS division is to offer an entry level program to Ringette for athletes ages 4 and up. There are some guiding principles for this program:
- A fun, learn to skate/learn to play ringette program
- All session are led by certified skating instructors from Platinum Star Power Skating
- Athletes wear full ringette equipment
- Active Start on-ice sessions will be on full ice.
- Team atmosphere with team jersey to use for the season and an MHRA club hoodie for kids to keep.
- Regularly scheduled weekly consistent ice time and consistent location; Saturday afternoons at the Kinplex II Arena. Parents will be notified two weeks prior of any schedule changes.
- The AS program has 16 sessions (8 prior to Christmas and 8 in the new year). Registration for the entire 16 sessions is $149. For children joining only the second set of sessions in the new year registration is $79.
- The first set of sessions, October 30, 2021- December 18, 2021, will primarily be to learn-to-skate and basic ringette skills.
- The second set of sessions, January 8, 2022-February 6, 2022, will continue with the on-ice learn-to-skate and basic ringette skills with cross ice games offered for athletes using 1/3 of the ice (cross ice).
Two fun team parties (water sliding, crafts, etc.) are included in registration, with one held during the first session prior to Christmas and one at the end of the second season. A budget will be provided and parent(s) will be responsible to coordinate the parties. There is no travel required with the Active Start Program. There are no volunteer requirements.
- For example, an athlete would start the on ice session by doing learn-to-skate drills on 2/3 of the ice. Then they would move into a cross ice game on 1/3 of the ice for 15 minutes and then back to learn-to-pass the ring drills to finish the ice session.
- The cross ice game will be managed by experienced ringette coaches/junior coaches with hopes of mentoring parents who may be interested in coaching in the future. There will be a line painted (bingo marker) halfway on the cross ice that players must pass across - no need for goalies, but if goalie sticks are available they may wish to try it!
- The learn-to-skate portion will be led by qualified instructors from Platinum Power Skating.